Few drugs have had a turbulent history in the U.S. as marijuana. Thankfully, around the mid-1990s, there was a push to legalize the use of marijuana for medical benefits. About fifteen years later, marijuana is now legalized for medical use and recreational use in some states. In 2019, The District of Columbia and 33 states had legalized one form or another of medical cannabis.
Avoid side-effects of conventional medicines by taking Medical Cannabis – Click the button below!
Though primarily used by people below 35 years old, medical marijuana usage amongst seniors has slowly increased. In a recent study evaluating the number of adults using medical marijuana, researchers found that the drug’s use among people aged 65 and above steadily increased. From 2015-2018, they reported an increase of 2.4% to 4.2% in marijuana use, figures that could be way higher currently.
You might be wondering about the benefits that have informed the increased medical cannabis use and the best strains for seniors. Here is some information to answer most of the questions you might have on medical marijuana usage amongst seniors.
What Might Be Causing The Increased Medical Marijuana Usage Amongst Seniors?
There seem to be several reasons for the rising numbers of senior medical marijuana users. One of the main ones is the reduced stigma now associated with the use of cannabis. In addition, most people currently support the legalization of medical marijuana as they are well-versed with its benefits. Most advocacy groups against the drug in the past are now advocating for its legalization after consultation with medical providers and following the evidence of its benefits from numerous studies.
Another reason for the increased medical marijuana usage amongst seniors is the increased availability of the drug, thanks to its legalization. All you need now to access the drug in states that have legalized its medical use is a medical marijuana card. In addition, its medicinal benefits are significant among adults who suffer from chronic illnesses whose effects are alleviated by the drug.
The Common Conditions Managed by Medical Marijuana
Medical marijuana has been proven beneficial in alleviating the symptoms associated with the following conditions common among seniors:
- Chronic pain
- Eating disorders
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- Epileptic seizures
- Wasting syndrome
Benefit from marijuana medicinal capabilities with medical marijuana card – Click the button below.
Which Are The Best Medical Marijuana Strains For Seniors?
There are two main cannabis types for medicinal use. These include Sativa and Indica. Sativa is associated with euphoria and energy. It often increases focus, boosts a feeling of wellbeing, and improves mood. It is an ideal choice when you want to relieve pain, stimulate hunger and alleviate the symptoms of depression.
Indica is associated with sedation thus typically used in the evenings to promote good sleep. It also numbs the body to soothe pain and reduces nausea. This medical marijuana type is often used to improve glaucoma symptoms, reduce epileptic seizure cases, help people cope with anxiety, and reduce multiple sclerosis pain.
With this in mind, below are some of the best strains when you settle for medical marijuana.
- Green crack was known as Green Kush in the past. It got its name and fame in medical marijuana usage amongst seniors after Snoop Dogg used it. The rapper named it green crack because of the uplifting and light-bodied the strain produces. Green Crack is Sativa-dominant with a THC content of 13-21%. It makes you energized, relaxed, and happy.
- Blue Dream, a Sativa-dominant strain, contains Blueberry Indica and Super Silver Haze. Though its THC content is 24%, its onset of activity is relatively mild. Most users report a gentle cerebral high after taking it and a general optimistic feeling. If your day is affected by pain, Blue Dream is the ideal choice for alleviating aches to allow you to enjoy life.
- Harlequin, a sativa-dominant strain, contains Thai sativa, Nepoli India, Swiss Sativa and Colombian Gold. Its THC to CBD ratio is approximately 1:1. Most people say Harlequin allows them to get a pleasant mental release free of exhaustion. If you want a cannabis strain that gives you pain relief without leaving you excessively high, Harlequin is your best choice.
- Afghani, a pure Indica strain, contains about 17% THC. Amnesia Haze and Northern Lights are products of Afghani. If insomnia is your motivation for looking for a strain among the ones responsible for medical marijuana usage amongst seniors, this is the best choice. Afghani is best taken in the evenings because its sedative effects take hold within a few minutes.
- Bio Jesus is a hybrid strain with THC levels of 25-28%, making it ideal for experienced users because of its potentially overwhelming effects for novices. This is a perfect choice for most senior citizens who have insomnia because of chronic pain. Bio Jesus has a high Myrcene level that relieves pain while inducing relaxation, thus promoting a good night’s sleep. It is also an ideal choice for those battling anxiety, stress, and depression.
Get effective treatment for depression and other mental illnesses with Medical Cannabis – Click the button below!
How Can You Access Medical Marijuana?
You might have been asking, ‘’how do you get medical marijuana in Florida? ’To buy medical marijuana in states that allow it, you need a medical marijuana card. The card also allows you to possess a higher marijuana limit than allowed for recreational use, access discounts on your purchase, and grow a specified amount of marijuana. With this realization, you might wonder how to get a marijuana card in Florida.
Your state’s medical marijuana program issues the card after you present a recommendation from a licensed doctor. You will head to a doctor’s office to evaluate your condition to see if marijuana will benefit you. The doctor will check your condition against the approved ones for medical marijuana usage amongst seniors in your state.
If you qualify, the doctor gives you the recommendation to submit alongside your application for a medical marijuana M.A. card. You can submit the medical marijuana card application via mail, online or in-person. Whether or not you can get a medical marijuana card online depends on your state laws, so check the relevant websites for information. Medical marijuana renewals generally follow the same process as getting a medical marijuana card.
With the guidelines above, you now understand the cause of the increased medical marijuana usage amongst seniors and can pick an ideal option to benefit those above sixty years. If you cannot go to the doctor’s office, you can get an evaluation for medical marijuana online on MMJ Doctor. On this site, you book an appointment, and then a doctor will conduct the assessment over the phone or a virtual communication platform. If you qualify for the drug, MMJ Doctor will send your medical marijuana certificate recommendation via email. This is then sent to your state’s medical marijuana office for your card’s processing.
Reach us today to get your MMJ Card by clicking the banner below!