Oklahoma became the 30th US state to legalize medical marijuana when about 507,000 residents voted YES on the State Question (SQ) 788 on June 26, 2018.
It means that any OK resident aged 18+, with a valid physician’s recommendation, can now apply for a medical marijuana license. If your license is approved, you can then proceed to purchase cannabis from licensed dispensaries for personal use.
As expected, though, public use of the drug is heavily regulated. Indeed, the Oklahoma Medical Marijuana Authority (OMMA) was created solely for this purpose – to administer the rules and regulations governing the state’s medical-marijuana program. OMMA works under the Oklahoma State Department of Health (OSDH).
The following are some of the critical points public users must keep in mind;
Who Can Posses or Cultivate Medical Marijuana in OK?
Starting with possession, only patients, designated caregivers, and authorized cannabis researchers can legally possess medical marijuana in Oklahoma. Such persons must also be registered with OMMA and hold a valid registry ID card.
Additionally, there’s a limit to how much cannabis you can carry around. At any one time, in public, you can only have a maximum of;
- 3 ounces (85 grams) of usable marijuana
- 1 ounce (28.35 grams) of marijuana concentrates
- 72 ounces (2.04 kg) of edible cannabis products
Public possession of cannabis in Oklahoma constitutes a misdemeanor if you don’t have a valid registry ID, even if you can show proof of an approved medical condition. If caught, you face fines of up to $400.
With regards to cultivation, patients can grow cannabis on their own or designate a caregiver to cultivate the product on their behalf. In both cases, each patient is limited to six mature plants and six seedlings.
Where Can You Legally Buy Medical Marijuana in OK?
Licensed patients may buy cannabis from state-licensed dispensaries. You can either purchase and transport the product yourself or through an OMMA-licensed caregiver.
Authorized cannabis researchers may also buy the product from state-licensed dispensaries. But, in addition to getting an OMMA license, all researchers are required to register with the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs Control (OBNDD).
The possession laws apply here too. You must not purchase or transport more than 3 ounces (about 85 grams) of dry-flower cannabis at any given time. OSDH currently prohibits delivery services.
Where Can You Use Medical Marijuana?
The state’s laws are very clear – all marijuana consumption must happen in a private space. As such, the following rules apply;
- It’s illegal to use medical cannabis in any non-smoking area.
- It’s illegal to use medical marijuana in an outdoor space designated for cigarette smoking.
- Using marijuana while operating a vehicle, including a bicycle, is prohibited.
Medical Marijuana- Other Important Points
There are a few other regulations that you may also want to know. These include;
- Medical marijuana and minors: Patients under 18 years are allowed to use medical marijuana. But, up to two-parent(s) or guardian(s) must be designated as their caregivers.
- License validity period: Adult medical marijuana licenses in Oklahoma are valid for two years starting from the date of issue. Minors’ licenses are also valid for up to two years, or until the minor turns 18 years.
- Caregiver license validity: Caregiver licenses expire automatically when the associated patient’s license expires.
Patients moving into Oklahoma from other states can get a temporary license allowing them to grow, buy, and use medical cannabis in the Sooner State, like residents, as long as you have a valid license from your state. There are, however, no temporary licenses for caregivers.
If you would like to be evaluated for medical marijuana, get in touch with MMJ Doctor. Our professional and licensed physicians can provide you with the information you need. Getting a medical marijuana card is easy with MMJ Doctor, and you won’t have to wait long before visiting state dispensaries. Visit our appointment page or call us to schedule your appointment today.
To start the process please complete this form – Medical Marijuana Card.
You will get your MMJ card the same day.