MEDICAL MARIJUANA & SPASMS
Spasm is when a muscle suddenly contracts involuntarily, without useful function. While painful, spasms are normally harmless and don`t last too long. Muscle spasms can be well treated with electrolytes, hydration and rest in most cases.
“Medical Marijuana was superior to placebo in symptom and pain reduction in patients with spasticity.” Jody Bloom
At the same time, spasms can cause serious damage (in case of heart attack). Severe muscle spasms can even tear the muscle away from the bone. In the cases of Epilepsy and Multiple Sclerosis, spasms are a very serious threat to the patient’s health.
Treatment with Pharmaceutical Medication provide relief to some patients but results are not stable. The chance of harmful side effects is deeply irritating and complications can be worse than the illness and symptoms themselves.
“Medical Marijuana components can improve such symptoms as SPASMS, unresponsive to standard treatment. Side effects are predictable and generally well tolerated.” Dr. Derick T. Wade MD.
Medical Cannabis’s rapid rise in popularity with medical physicians is due availability of Medical Pot – with the understanding that – in comparison to regular drugs, side effects are minor. But what is the most important, they increasingly see the efficacy of Medical Marijuana – in both their own and colleagues’ medical practices. In addition, there is a lot of scientific studies that shows the effectiveness of Medical Marijuana in the treatment of pain, spasms, cramping and many other conditions.
Medical Marijuana & Muscle Spasms
While Medical marijuana is not most popular painkiller, it also has a long history as a viable treatment for spasms. Medical surveys revealed that many patients who self-medicated, have used Weed to effectively manage spasms for a long time. Additionally, they found about Cannabis through the grapevine. One patient(severe spastic) believed that Marijuana was keeping her alive.
CBD and THC are the two main Medical Marijuana components. Marijuana work by imitating the body’s own chemistry – called endo-cannabinoids. When in short supply or there is an imbalance in neuro-chemistry, Cannabinoids found in Marijuana tend to biochemically balance the system by modulating neuro-receptors. in many cases, muscular nerve misfiring is halted or reduced in the case of spasms.
Scientific confirmation of what mmj patients already knew “Medical marijuana extracts can improve neurogenic symptoms unresponsive to standard treatments and drugs. Side effects are predictable and generally well tolerated. Studies are warranted to confirm these findings.” Dr. Derick T. Wade MD
MEDICAL MARIJUANA AND SPASMS – DOCTORS TESTIMONIALS
- “Spasticity is a disabling complication of multiple sclerosis, affecting many patients with the condition. This study has shown Marijuana (Sativex) to improve spasticity in patients who had failed to respond adequately to other antispasticity medications…” Alena Novotna, MD
- A standardized Cannabis sativa plant extract might lower spasm frequency and increase mobility with tolerable side effects in MS patients with persistent spasticity not responding to other drugs.” Claude Vaney, MD
- “Pain relief associated with both THC and CBD was significantly superior to placebo (IN REDUCING SPASMS). Impaired bladder control, muscle spasms and spasticity were improved by CME in some patients with these symptoms. Cannabis medicinal extracts can improve neurogenic symptoms unresponsive to standard treatments. Unwanted effects are predictable and generally well tolerated.” Derick T. Wade, MD
- “Some patients with multiple sclerosis who smoke Cannabis [Marijuana] report relief of spasm and pain after the second or third puff of a Cannabis cigarette. This implies very rapid transit to, and absorption into the central nervous system. The time involved is seconds rather than minutes.”
2001 – Brian A. Whittle, PhD
- “The study met its primary objective to demonstrate the superiority of CE over placebo in the treatment of muscle stiffness and spasm in MS. No new safety concerns were observed.” John P. Zajicek, PhD
MMJ DOCTOR: Schedule your in-person appointment in San Francisco or San Jose clinic to see if medical marijuana is a right option for your pain with our Medical Marijuana Doctors.