So many good choices – so little time.
Medical and recreational marijuana has been on the market in several states now for several years now.
By now, there is a wealth of information out there about who buys what. We’ve gathered data from the major marijuana websites and research groups and made our own conclusion on what top marijuana strains are really the most popular as of the year 2017.
Marijuana comes in three distinct species, with Sativa and indica types and hybrids (mixtures) dominating the consumer market in the United States and other western countries.
BASIC INFO ABOUT CANNABIS STRAINS
The science is coming in that allows us to begin to understand how the various cannabinoids in marijuana work in the body and affect the psyche. The main cannabinoid in the most popular strains is THC, the psychoactive component.
The second type of THC (V) has an energizing effect as opposed to a sedating effect. The other main cannabinoid called CBD tends to pleasantly moderate the high. Other components in cannabis called terpenes also work with THC and other cannabinoids that affect the medical or recreational experience.
Generally speaking, Sativa strains are more energizing and provides users with a”head” high, while indica strains are more relaxing and subdued giving more of a “body” highs. With that said, not all people respond in the same way, a few people react oppositely to the norm. Consumers love energizing weed, to get them through the day in style, as they say, while few marijuana smokers don’t want something sedating and relaxing after a hard, or easy day at the office.
RECREATIONAL & MEDICAL MARIJUANA COMBO
1. Blue Dream – Cannabis Strains
Blue Dream is Sativa-dominant, described as full-body relaxation yet invigoratingly cerebral.
2. Durban Poison – Cannabis Strains
Durban Poison is a sativa loved for its robust uplifting and energetic effects. D-Poison contains high amounts of THCV which might account for its outrageous popularity.
3. Sour Diesel – Cannabis Strains
Sour diesel is a Sativa strain, made especially popular for its antidepressive and anti-pain properties. Rarely will a recreational user say no to Sour Diesel as well.
4. Bruce Banner #3 – Cannabis Strains
Bruce Banner #3 is a potent hybrid known especially for its superhuman “euphoric” buzz.
Bruce Banner (probably better-known as the alter ego of comic book superhero The Incredible Hulk) is one of three phenotypes of the Bruce Banner strain and has proven to be a popular one. Effects come on quickly to provide an immediate burst of euphoria before easing into relaxation that may be good for creative pursuits. Dark Horse Genetics bred this strain from OG Kush and Strawberry Diesel, and its heritage can be found in its diesel aroma with sweet undertones. Its plants flower at 8 to 10 weeks.
5. Blueberry Diesel – Cannabis Strains
Blueberry diesel, no surprise is a cross between the very popular blueberry and sour diesel strains. A great medical strain with appreciable CBD content and %15 THC which is also very popular among the recreational crowd.
It is probably best known for its strong blueberry smell with hints of fuel from its Diesel lineage. Blueberry also overwhelms the flavor of these sticky flowers, which should have plenty of trichomes and long orange hairs. Effects tend to be happy and relaxing but not too overwhelming, making this a popular choice for many kinds of patients.
A true A-List cannabis strain. Blueberry’s legendary status soared to new heights after claiming the High Times’ Cannabis Cup 2000 for Best Indica. The long history of the strain is traced back to the late 1970s when American breeder DJ Short was working with a variety of exotic landrace strains. However, throughout the decades of Blueberry’s cultivation the genetics have been passed around, due in large part to DJ Short working with multiple seed banks and breeders. The sweet flavors of fresh blueberries combine with relaxing effects to produce a long-lasting sense of euphoria. Many consumers utilize Blueberry to help contend with pain and stress, while connoisseurs and growers admire the strain for its colorful hues and high THC content.
6. Girl Scout Cookies – Cannabis Strains
Girl Scout Cookies is a cross of OG Kush and Durban Poison and is popular because of it’s over the top THC content. GSC also contains THCV which might account for its extra kick.
7. Northern Lights – Cannabis Strains
Northern Lights pure indica best known for its relaxing dreamy, relaxing effects that calm the body especially. Obviously, this strain is popular at bedtime.
Northern Lights stands among the most famous strains of all time, a pure indica cherished for its resinous buds, fast flowering, and resilience during growth. Itself a descendant of indigenous Afghani and Thai landrace strains, Northern Lights has given rise to famous hybrids like Shiva Skunk and Super Silver Haze. Rumor has it that Northern Lights first sprouted near Seattle, Washington, but was propagated out of Holland after 1985 at what is now Sensi Seeds.
Pungently sweet, spicy aromas radiate from the crystal-coated buds, which sometimes reveal themselves in hues of purple. Northern Lights’ psychoactive effects settle in firmly throughout the body, relaxing muscles and pacifying the mind in dreamy euphoria. Comfortable laziness allows patients to relieve pain and sleeplessness, while its mellow contentment roots out depression and stress. Several different Northern Lights phenotypes circulate the market, but Sensi Seeds recommends a general indoor flowering time of 45 to 50 days.
8. Green Crack – Cannabis Strains
Green Crack sounds evil or naughty but its just another weird name from its parents, that turns out to deliver a strong burst of energy. GC is popular when users want a boost to focus, focus, focus.
9. Hell’s Angel OG – Cannabis Strain
Hell’s Angel OG is indica-dominant hybrid, known for its large, heavy buds, that hits you heavily and quickly, like a biker’s punch in the face (joke).
10. Granddaddy Purple
A potent medical / recreational strain, popular for pain and tough to treat sleeping conditions. Recreational users enjoy the profound holiday effects of this lovely creation.
11. OG Kush. Cannabis Strains
One of the most powerful and popular strains on earth, and probably the solar system. Kush varieties are regular winners at the biggest competitions. OG Kush is popular for its combination of opposing effects, euphoria and relaxation.
12. White Widow – Hybrid Cannabis Strain
An extremely popular hybrid strain that is known for its dense resin content and thick white crystal coating. White Widow has been a global favorite for over two decades due to its high energy, euphoric high and fast acting effects.
Most Popular Marijuana Strains – Leafly
- Blue Dream
- Sour Diesel
- Girl Scout Cookies
- Green Crack
- OG Kush
- Granddaddy Purple
Trending Marijuana Strains – Leafly
- Tropic Thunder
- Lime Skunk
- LA Confidential
- Tangerine Dream
- Ganja Wemo
Marijuana Strains – Google Algorithm First Appearing
- Pineapple Skunk ·
- Burmese Kush
- Skunk #1
- Jack Herer
- Killer Tahoe OG
Marijuana Strains – Reddit First Appearing
- Presidential OG
- Spooky Dream
- Black Destroyer
- Purple Space Cookies
- Lemon Thai Strain – Lemon Thai is great for those looking for a little extra creative spark. Originally produced by Dutch Flowers, Lemon Thai is a cross between a Thai sativa and a Hawaiian strain. Taking after its Thai parentage, the effects of this strain are extremely cerebral, allowing users to feel introspective, focused, and thoughtful. This strain features a pleasant lemony-mint taste and typically flowers in 10 weeks. Lemon Thai produces high yields both indoors and outdoors but appreciates a lot of space to grow.
- Dark Star
- Peaches and Cream
HIGHTIMES – Marijuana Strains
- Black Lavender
- Mendo Breath Strain – Mendo Breath is an interesting mix of OGKB (OGKushBreath, which is the supposed patriarch in the Cookies Fam genetics) and Mendo Montage. Their forces combined make dense frosty buds that reek of sweet vanilla and caramel. But no matter how good this smells, save it for after work. This thumper can pivot your entire day’s plans with its powerful body high built for chronic pain and discomfort.
- ’92 OG
- Colorado Bubba
- Goji OG
- Star Dawg
- Gorilla Glue #4
- Gelato Leafly – Gelato (also referred to as “Larry Bird”) is another tantalizing hybrid cannabis strain from Cookie Fam Genetics, following in the footsteps of its parents Sunset Sherbet and Thin Mint GSC. This Bay Area, California native gets its name from the fruity, dessert-like aroma, a common genetic thread among the Cookie family. Her buds tend to bloom in dark purple hues illuminated by fiery orange hairs and a shining white coat of crystal resin. Novice consumers may want to approach this THC powerhouse with caution, but those armed with a high tolerance will delight in Gelato’s heavy-handed euphoria. Physical relaxation comes on strong, but many find themselves still mentally agile enough to stay productive and creative when enjoying Gelato during the day.
Leafscience – Cannabis Strains
- Girl Scout Cookies
- Green Crack
- Bruce Banner Strain – Bruce Banner might be best known as the alter-ego of comic book hero The Incredible Hulk, but maybe he wouldn’t be such a stressed out ball of anger if he just had some of his namesake strain. This green monster also has hidden strength and features dense nugs that pack the power of very high THC content. It’s a powerful strain whose effects come on quickly and strong and then tend to settle into a euphoric and creative buzz. The sativa effects of this strain are most evident and linger mostly in the head, but it may also provide body relaxation that make it an appropriate daytime bud for some. Dark Horse Genetics bred this strain from OG Kush and Strawberry Diesel, and its heritage can be found in its diesel aroma with sweet undertones. Plants flower at 8 to 10 weeks. This strain does have three main phenotypes, one of which is Bruce Banner #3.
- Sour Diesel
- Durban Poison
- Kosher Kush
- Blackberry X Blueberry
- Tangerine Power
- Banana Kush
- Blue Dream
ALLBUD Marijuana Strains
- OG Kush
- Jock Horror
- Purple Kush
- Durban Poison
- Wonder Woman
- Neville’s Hazeis
- Jack Herer
- Khalifa Kush
MMJ DOCTOR: Medical Marijuana Evaluations are completed here 100% online in minutes. 100% Confidential and Private. Products and Services; Licensed Medical California Doctor – Telehealth Compliant – Grower’s Permits – 420 Evaluations – Physician Recommendations – Documents are accepted at licensed cooperatives, dispensaries, cannabis clubs, delivery services, and online cannabis-based medicine suppliers. To get your medical marijuana card online click here.